Sunday, December 7, 2008

Negligent Bideshi Aunty

Another thing I may have mentioned just once or twice is my little friend next door, Momu. She has just turned two, and entered the "terrible twos" big time. She asks "what's this?" about everything. She has a very short temper if she doesn't get her way. But she's so so so cute that it's almost impossible to stand firm and not give in to her 2-year-old demands. She calls me "Moni" but often other people refer to me as her "bideshi aunty" (bideshi = foreigner).

One of Momu's favourite things is to go upstairs to my "house" - if I haven't seen her for a few days, the first thing she'll say is, "go upstairs!" I think it helps that I am a total slob, so my room is invariably a pig-sty with plenty of interesting things everywhere for little girls to find.

I was on the phone the other night, while Momu was upstairs with me. She was having a great time going into my room, then coming out to the lounge room where I was sitting, with her newest discovered object to find out what it was. After about 20 minutes of this, however, she came out looking very sheepish and pointed to her pants, saying "shi-shi" (Bangla for wee-wee). Thus ended Episode 1 of Negligent Bideshi Aunty.

Episode 2 is somewhat self-explanatory from the following photo:I love the look on her face, it's as if she knows full well that she's found something that firmly belongs in the "adults only" category. She sounded so cute saying "beer" though!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mon, In Japan Momu means Peach, I wonder if a similar meaning in Bangers? Very cute. I hadn't read your blog for awhile and Brian and I chuckled at you description in "I love Bangladesh" of the "incident" of the CNG at the airport, as the saying goes"We could relate to that"! Seasons Greetings,Carly's Mum.